life between the pages

“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”
Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Monday, April 03, 2023

Book review: Funeral Songs for Dying Girls

I absolutely loved this book. It was written with a clarity and authenticity that is simply too rare these days.

Winifred Bright lives with her father in the cemetery where he works, among quiet tree-lined paths, headstones, and ghosts - real and perceived. When her 16th birthday plans don't quite go over as planned, she encounters an actual spirit in the cemetery, who leads her on an inner journey to self discovery and the opportunity to find closure over her mother's death.

A coming of age story, beautifully crafted, with unique plot twists and finely drawn characters. I was absolutely enchanted with this book and will definitely be looking for more by this author.

***Thank you to NetGalley and Tundra Books for the Advance Reader Copy***

No comments: