life between the pages

“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”
Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

where angels fear to tread

it has been difficult to look southward in the past few weeks, so i have been turning my head this way and that, averting my eyes, much as one would when the sun sinks below the top edge of the car window and starts to slant inwards, spearing the retinas. constantly adjusting my visor against the glare doesn't seem to be working. while i do have ears for, and have gotten to the point where my raw and somewhat tenderhearted nerves actually want to listen to the radio stories of the refugees: which is exactly what we should be doing, opening our ears to listen, sharing our hearts and doorways and pockets, lending our hands in whatever way we can... when the interviewer turns to those who would opine answers that involve eager rebuilding of the "new, new orleans," my blood runs absolutely cold.

we have no business thinking that way at this point. how can we speak of rushing in like absolute fools to speculate in still-watery real estate when there is so much need to be addressed? i am presently listening to parents in baton rouge, who are trying to handle the influx of 10,000 new school children in their parish parochial schools. why can these members of my own profession, along with the architects, landscape designers, financiers, politicians, and builders not find this challenge as attractive as 'building the new, new orleans'? i ask you. it is a waste of precious resources, that we simply can not afford and would be wrong to spend, and would much better be directed toward figuring out how houston will feed, house, and school the myriad needy for whom they now have responsibility.

2 comments:

RaeS said...

I hear you! I hate listening to pundits speculate period, let alone on things like the reconstruction of the Gulf Coast post-Katrina... like they have any business speculating or, more often than not, even have any credientials that would make them qualified in the first place. Drives me crazy! And a lot of the journalists in the studios aren't much better. I've caught so many of them in the act of sensationalizing and exaggerating to make the stories they are covering seem more edgy. I've seen reporters on the scene trying to pull them back down to Earth, and the in-studio guys contradicting them, in a painfully obvious attempt to puff the story up with a lot of hot air... It makes me sad and sick.

RaeS said...

My goodness! I just noticed the links under the heading "What I'm up to these days". Good lord, you've been busy!