life between the pages

“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”
Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Sunday, July 17, 2005

taking the blue pill



i have seen more than i want to,
and less than i deserve.
it is time to move on.
to be a martyr no longer to an unrecognized cause,
one that few believe actually exists.
would that it were so.
my venue lies in another sphere, and here i stay listening, listening
eyes shut, ears in fine tune
for the next call of duty
the next will o' the wisp
calming, quiet, hot and breathless it will come
and fall upon my would-be deaf ears
should i not be at attention
and ready to put the cause to action
i will pick up my pen
and march ahead to meet the dawn
while others sleep
and find myself among them,
somnolent sustenance in my throat.

1 comment:

Genuine Lustre said...

You go girl! Here's to following your heart ( raising a glass of tequila slush)!! I wish you more time with your sweetheart and a successful plunge into something meaningful.