life between the pages

“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”
Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

saving the world one bit at a time

http://www.alternet.org/envirohealth/19261/
http://www.laundrylist.org/

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



perhaps the reason i've always found hanging out the laundry therapeutic is the fact that when i was a toddler, my mother and grandmother carried me out in the basket where i would lay on a quilt in the warm sunshine while they hung out the sheets. i also remember helping gramma running clothes thru the wringer washer. the work was clean and made her happy --she always hummed a tune as she worked. now, even on days when nothing else seems to get done (or done right), it is always a source of extreme satisfaction to me to be taking advantage of the wind and the sun, with the end result a fresh, healthy, and free pleasure, not to mention a great source of exercise.

4 comments:

Madcap said...

Is this one of your "living historian" garments? Did you make it yourself?

susannah eanes said...

Umm... yes. I guess that must be obvious. It's an 1820s corded stay. Much more comfy than any modern undergarment, I assure you.

Genuine Lustre said...

It makes beautiful art. I'm straining my eyes to make out the detail - are those horizontal lines about the waist just wearing creases?

susannah eanes said...

umm.. yes. it's the same set you made only out of cotton drill, which is like twill only a bit thinner and with less likelyhood to twist.
i do hate how when you re-size the pix they get all blurry. i may re-load some of them this weekend when i have more time.